If I can offer you any piece of advice it would be this:
Live now. Life is too damn short to simply wish things were different.

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

life everchanging

if you asked me if i like routine, my knee jerk response would be an overwhelming "NO!"  but it's during times like these, that i realize how much routines really rule our lives.  

it seems typical and practically coveted to have some kind of routine in life, whether you want to admit it or not.  even the life that seems completely void of routine inevitably ends up developing some routine out of their lack of.  the things we do when we wake up, take a shower, before we go to work or out with friends, the place we live and on and on and on. routine seems to keep us grounded in some way....provides a "place" (whether in the literal or figurative sense) for us to call home.

these routines become so engrained in our brains that even the smallest change (good or bad) can rock our worlds.  change in people, change in environment, change in friends or family.  changes that offer a new perspective on life...or perhaps just a different one.  

and among this sudden change it's possible, if we pay close attention, to recognize the routines that are extremely important in our lives as well as the ones that may just need to go.

for me, i think a routine that includes a healthy balance of friends, responsibility and love are essential in our existence and growth.  i've realized how incredibly blessed i am to have many of these routines in place and flourishing as we speak.  and i've realized that there are some routines that have a lot of work to be done and attention that is needed.  it's funny how a break in our routines tends to be the very perspective we need to see what is most important in our lives.  and what routines are in desperate need of our attention.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! The strangest routines give me a sense of security, although in general I pride myself in being anything but routine.
    Anyway - the hardest routine changes for me are those that include people. I get so comfortable with who is in my life and how they fit the routine I've created. Start shifting people and roles...whew...I ache inside - LOL! I have to admit though, some of the best things in life have come from breaks in routines. Growth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Routines are in every world and circumstance and they work so well with children, animals, people with dissabilities, etc. routines give people a reason to wake up in the morning. I love them and hate them at the same time.

    ReplyDelete