If I can offer you any piece of advice it would be this:
Live now. Life is too damn short to simply wish things were different.

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Is Tyra Banks Fat?

I wrote this poem about a year and a half ago and it's posting is long overdue. A little background: I was working late one night, doing some research on the internet and one of those annoying "pop up ads" threw itself onto my computer screen. The ad was a picture of Tyra Banks and all it said was "Is Tyra Banks fat?" I had so many thoughts run through my head when I saw this ad....mainly..."really? who the hell cares if she's fat?" But then I could feel myself getting angry and so I wrote:
Is Tyra Banks fat?

thats what the ad
wanted to ask
a task
that prompted me to pull out my oxygen mask
to keep my pulse from stopping
my temperature from dropping
my eyes from popping
out of my head
into this question
and then back into my head

and my mind is doing everything it can to try
and contrive
the very reasons why
I’d even want to stay alive
in a world that projects and promotes
such questions and quotes
that only denotes
the f*%ked up vision that society plasters and coats
on insecure minds
resulting in holes in throats
and suicide notes

yeah you better start takin notes
cause your kids are next
the focal point subjects
destined to start developing the complex
of seeing through the faulty and imperfection specs
that turn their bodies and souls into objects
and projects
for ads like this one
to start slicin
and dicin
their bodies from the outside
penetrating deep into their insides
where it ultimately stands to reside
sitting beside
the heart
convincing it’s the only one to confide in

and so it slides in
and begins to plant its seed
and it’s not makin a baby
but it’s makin a need
to mislead
the unsuspecting minds of the false definition of succeed
so now the only hunger pains that you gotta feed
are the ones that are screaming for more speed
not the ones in miles per hour
but rather the pills that you devour
praying it can keep you from taking that second bite
f*%k bein polite
cause this sh#t ain’t right

in fact it’s rather sad
that the person that produced that ad
can probably recall the very time they had
all sense of confidence and self-esteem
disappear like an out of style fad

so maybe next time you could ask
“what are you most passionate about”
or ask me to lay my dreams flat
for your sake and mine
let’s try to get a little bit deeper than askin me
if Tyra Banks is fat

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete