If I can offer you any piece of advice it would be this:
Live now. Life is too damn short to simply wish things were different.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Are there two of us?

We've all experienced conversations with "ourselves" before but have we ever really thought about what that means? Thought about what it means to "ask yourself" a question? Thought about what it means when one side of us feels one way and the other side feels another? Or when we have to "tell ourselves" to be strong?

These statements....these emotions, would imply that there are two of us. Two people, maybe even more, built within one body. Multiple voices spouting their opinions, fears, emotions and desires. We even see it when all of these voices are aligned and agree on something. We make statements like "i feel this with all of my being." Which again implies that all of our voices, personalities and beliefs are in agreement. And there are times when we have to choose between the "us" that makes the most sense at the time. One side says go, one side says stay. One side says yes, one side says no. One side says "i know i can," the other says "i'm just not sure."

So which do we choose to listen to? Which voice could be, should be the most powerful? And how do we even know where these voices are generated from? From the heart, the mind, the soul? Would it make any difference if we knew?

Are there two of us? and if so, which one do we listen to?

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Never really thought about it. So simple and so complex...so Mollikins!

    I imagine my voices are categorized by experience, curiousity, compassion, logic and there's a "whatever" voice. I guess I must also have that voice of "reason" that "they" always speak of. Hmmmmm.

    At the end of my day, the loudest voice doesn't always trump the others...it's that whisper that REALLY gets me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I ask myself a question the only response I get is an echo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points. The older I get the more I realize that my inner voice can't be in conflict with the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete