If I can offer you any piece of advice it would be this:
Live now. Life is too damn short to simply wish things were different.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Importance of Words-A Tribute to the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

The message that Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. relayed on August 28, 1963 in Washington, D.C. was one that, because of it's depth, dynamism and profundity, has touched so many since that day.  A sentiment that is surely well known and understood but perhaps and unfortunately, rarely remembered.  Dr. King's words have meant many things to me in the evolution of my own life, but have probably gone deeper for me now more than ever before for one reason....the importance of words.

As kids, we learn how to speak words, spell words and connect words to make meaning in sentences.  We learn to hear words, repeat words and sometimes we made up our own words. But when I think back on my life, I struggle to remember receiving the message of the importance of words.  In fact, I recall many adults in my life reminding me that "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."  A cliched sentiment I had no problem accepting as a kid but now eschew with all my might.  And I do so through the words of Dr. King.  

The day King delivered his message of hope, of change, of freedom, of demanding justice for ALL, his words melted into the hearts of those that NEEDED to hear them.  His words inspired action, rebellion and power for those that had lost their inspiration.  His words gave rise to changes this country thought they would never see.  Our first African American President...Barak Obama.  The beautiful "coincidence" of the inauguration happening the day after our day of remembrance for the Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.  Dr. King said he had a dream...and perhaps that's where his words came to him.  But I rest assured that Dr. King knew that our reality is and will always be shaped through our words.  Our words create our reality.  They create the world we know today.  And they will create the world we see tomorrow.  

As I celebrate all the beauty, courageousness and brilliance of this man....I will remind myself of the importance of words.  And I will remind myself that the world I talk about, the life I speak of, the dreams I whisper in a good friend's ear....will be forever my words becoming my reality.  They will be my words...they will be my life.     

No comments:

Post a Comment