If I can offer you any piece of advice it would be this:
Live now. Life is too damn short to simply wish things were different.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Direction -Less

My amazingly wonderful friend Nikki presented me with a little challenge yesterday. She dared me to take a word from each line from my post "Habit (21 lines)" to see if I could make a poem out of those 21 words. Well, I kind of misunderstood the assignment and went a little crazy on it. I did as she instructed and pulled 1 word from each line of the poem. But instead of creating a poem out of those 21 words (which she actually did beautifully) I created a new poem in the "21 line" format but with a completely new focus and direction, ironically called "Direction-Less." The poem still follows the theory that doing something 21 times can create a habit.

Direction – less

1. i locked the door inside my house like I locked myself inside this habit
2. my habit that has no windows to break through
3. walls to hide me, fire alarms to sound. The one that drowned down
4. a far reaching dream that my heart still screams to at night
5. and implores me to spend more time with
6. rather than chasing lost thoughts around promises and possibility
7. fate knocking and destiny. So I took a moment to lie on the ground beside
8. the footprints of honest experience and effort that had walked before me
9. derived from a language injected with resolution and fight
10. and I saw images of intentional prints that were leftover from the strong and steadfast
11. individuals that stayed focused and surpassed those still wrapped inside indolent ideals of what should be
12. as opposed to what could be. Images that invaded my soul, marched around my heart
13. and left their own prints, indentations down my spine
14. each and every one indicating who I’ve been in past lives and who I am yet to become
15. who I will become if I follow my own journey, live out my own dreams
16. dreams my heart has been dying to transform into habits
17. and just then I realized how terrifying such thoughts, such sentiments used to be
18. habitual love, freedom, thought….habitually living life had never been me
19. but my time pressed to the ground must have been a wish made by my heart
20. because those prints down my spine now surround my body with peace
21. and my footprints are now pointing intentionally and in a new direction, and that direction is East


No comments:

Post a Comment