If I can offer you any piece of advice it would be this:
Live now. Life is too damn short to simply wish things were different.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Rearview

i tossed my unwanted baggage
and packed only what i could hold
in the passenger seat....
where you used to sit

it was going to be a long trip
with the west in my rearview
a long, winding
binding
road back to a familiar
new place
full of long lost memories
and those yet to be made

it wasn't easy to say goodbye
to present connections, intentions
and i fear it may be even harder to say
hello to the past
but it's something i knew had to be done
something larger than me
pulling me
reminding me
of future goals
i'd never made

and i fear there will be mixed emotions when i go
of immediate affliction
that will quickly transform
into long term listlessness
which is the very reason why
i think i've overstayed my welcome

I'd painted over the truth for far too long
with surface level assurances
that i thought for sure could last...
forever

but the last thing i remember
was lost and delirious activity
full of intoxicating conversation
filling a 22 ounce glass that i chugged
every day before work without hesitation
focusing intense dedication
to wild nights
in wild desperation
while i watched
and waited
for the next bedside destination...
to get wild on

i loved and learned
grew deeper
and deeper connections were later made
upon rocks
upon sand
upon my hands
that held hearts
i was destined to unfold
and others i was never fully equipped to hold
my heart sat upon her hands
and she broke it
some of these memories
are in the passenger seat where you used to sit
while the others sit in a trash bag
on my old street corner

the salt from the pacific
resonates on my tongue
as i watch it disappear
in the rearview
and lingering gratitude
dances upon my heart
and soul
as you disappear too

1 comment:

  1. hope that passenger seat stays warm if not full.

    ReplyDelete